Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Self-Supported Half-Iron Distance Triathlon




Hey, phew it's been a while, sorry for no update. The last few months have been extremely busy and eventful for sure.
I kicked my rear-end into gear and spent 2 months since August building myself up to the half-iron distances. I have a video but I'll go a bit into what went on that day. Oh by the way this was a reverse triathlon, the pool didn't open till noon and I did not want to start that late. The weather...well about 65 degrees but windy beyond all belief 20-30 mph with gusts higher than that. Made it very challenging indeed.

Run- I hadn't run 13 miles since April, my longest run in the summer was 7 or 8 miles. The 3 weeks before my "race" I did 13 miles at least 3 times. I had to build my mileage quickly which isn't always a good idea but I did it anyway. The run was fine and I held an 8:30-9:00 min per mile pace, i faced some serious stomach cramping though but pushed on.

Bike- oh man, extremely windy and quite hilly for being in southern Illinois. It took me a while to finish but I was just happy not to get hit by a car and make it back in one piece. Oh within the last 15 miles I had such a severe leg cramp in my left quad I thought I was tearing the muscle out of my knee, I didn't realize it was a cramp because I don't cramp in my legs ever. That would plague me in the swim. I took my endurolytes, but I had been training in 50 degree weather so that 15-20 degree difference really increased my sweat rate more than I had planned. Plus the weird thing was I had Hammer heed and water, but all I wanted was water for the most part.

Swim-My leg would not help for pushing off the swimming pool wall, it locked up with even the slightest pressure, so you can see in the video I had issues with pushing off the wall because I look like an idiot who can't swim in a pool. :-) Overall I swam what I had in practice months before the race day and it worked out fine except for the intense leg pain.

I was happy to say I did the distance and I was extremely suprised that I recovered in two days. I did it on Sunday and on Wednesday I was at the gym working out. I am planning my off season workouts now and will maintain the fitness I gained the past few months, I feel like my oldself again. :-) You know, these are fun to do and it seems like Ironman brand is making it more difficult to get into their races, I hope to see more non m-dot races coming up so everyone can challenge themselves, the distance is the distance the pain is the same, no matter where you are doing it. I know they are opening up more 70.3's, but registration is just crazy, you need a lottery just to sign up for a regular IM North America. Well, I hope when I am ready to do the distance I can choose the race that is right for me. If you go the 140.6, you're an ironman, hands down.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

That's awesome!! Congratulations!

Pete (Bib# 70) Hagen said...

Keep going Mandy! 140.6 is right around the corner. The video is really cool. Nice job, congratulations and Happy Thanksgiving!

Brenda said...

Well done! One more thing to be thankful for this year!

Drew Holmes said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Tracy said...

MANDY, woman I'm looking all over for your email... help a sister out? wil at throughth3wall dot com.

Thanks!

:) said...

Sweet vid! I can't believe I am just seeing this...