Monday, August 4, 2008

Ah crap....

Sorry everyone, strangely enough...working at a Bike Shop is slightly time consuming but here we go. My birthday is the 6th (Wednesday) and I will be doing the BiFit B-day and I am very excited because I have been waiting all year to finally get to do it. Pure fun involving my three favorite sports! Hmm...only bad thing is that it is going to potentially rain so I will have to make it work to land the Gold challenge in honor of the olympics starting soon.

So I will respond on my earlier post of reviewing my bike purchase review.
Okay so bikesdirect are alright people to work with, there is no face to face support though, so that is a down side. The bike I ordered was the Motobecane Immortal Force and I am sure the guys at my bike shop just laugh at me behind my back, but you know what...now that I have gotten the bike to my liking...it really is a great bike...just does not have the name to go with it. The bike is full carbon, and full ultegra components. Now I have spent enough time looking at the Trek Bikes we carry at the shop and I will admit the frame structure makes a big difference but man does the cost go up. The comparable trek model would be the Madone 4.7 at $2700. That frame is still made in China and mine was made in Taiwan...so isn't that interesting? Mine cost roughly $1499 no tax, but I dumped $300extra into the fit, bars, stem, and build up, and cable length reduction. However, a another female such as myself might have to do the same thing. It is nice to have an LBS back you up though if you should need help. The bike rides very smoothly, and the ritchey wheels are not too bag, but I might upgrade them at a later time.
Oh, BikesDirect sent me the 2008 model and not the 2009 like they were supposed to, but they refunded me the $100 difference no problems and I like to ultegra crankset and ritchey wheels better anyhow. So, what is my overall verdict...okay so the motobecane bikes might have some lame arse names and not look as flashy as the Treks or Specialized or whatever...but if you are in a pinch with cash and really want a bike...you can get a mid range model and go to Bike nashbar.com and find some upgraded parts and keep the cost down...just don't get ripped off by your shop...all of the will charge labor no matter what so be ready for that. They have to eat too you know. However, always compare and please check out your LBS and other shops before buying on impulse or you will have the hassle of returns and that can be a mess. Good luck!

Okay my silliest newbie mistake was when my first triathlon had seen rain in the morning. It was about 45 degrees outside...I decided to use my cycleops trainer to warm up instead of taking my bike out on the road that in 30 minutes I was going to be riding anyway. Smart idea right...I mean I went to a MTB race before in Lajitas, TX and they were using them, and hey they use them in the Tour right? Well...just leave that sucker at home...I learned that quickly. My mom stills make fun of me for it, but hey I was 15 and oh well right? :-)

Well I will be sending updates and pictures to here via my phone as I cover my B-Fit B-Day. Anyone think I should go for an on/off road one? 1 mile swim, 18 mile bike, and 8 mile run. I am going to make a video following any shots I can get during my birthday triathlon, sound good?

Tri on and keep going...
-MK

2 comments:

:) said...

Post some pics of your new bike...

I bought a road bike from bikesdirect a few years ago too. :D

AeroMandy said...

It's a couple months old, I will take some of it for the tri. I forgot to mention, the wheels will need desperate truing after a few rides. It's not a bad bike, just needs work.